Permits are available free of charge at the Community Development Department in Room 12 or Public Safety Department in Room 15. Each property is allowed a maximum of two yard sales per calendar year. The residents of that same property can also participate in a community yard sale with their neighbors once per calendar year.
When obtaining a permit, please provide the following information.
- If the property is rented, the yard sale applicant must be living at the residence. A rental contract showing the applicant and the property owner or manager’s name and telephone number are required.
- A valid California Driver’s License/Identification Card and a current utility bill are needed to confirm residency.
- Community yard sale applicants must provide a map and list of participating addresses.
For more information, please contact Community Development at (562) 929-5744 or Public Safety at (562) 929-5732.
1. A yard sale is for selling your used or unwanted household or personal items, furniture, tools or clothing from your own property on an infrequent basis (no more than 2 times per year). New merchandise or other items purchased for resale are not allowable yard sale merchandise.
2. Yard sale activities and merchandise cannot be displayed or conducted on any public property, including sidewalks, streets, alleys and parkways.
3. A maximum of two (2) yard sales and (1) community yard sale are allowed per property per calendar year. A yard sale may not be held for more than two consecutive days.
4. Yard sale signs cannot be displayed, placed or posted on telephone poles, traffic signals, street signs, street lights, city trees, or in the public right-of-way.
5. Please be courteous to your neighbors and keep your neighborhood neat and clean. Please remove your posted signs when the sale is over.
6. No food sales allowed on private/right of way property at any yard sale event, unless seller has obtained a Health Department permit and City license. Please contact the Health Department at (562) 345-6800.
7. All vehicles associated with and/or attending any yard sale event must be kept legally parked at all times. Violators will be cited. For enforcement of any related violations, please contact the Public Safety Department at (562) 929-5732.
8. Only one yard sale sign may be used on the seller’s property. The sign cannot be larger than 6 square feet.